Re: FREE 1 jr Magazine etc etc

From: Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 17:42:35 EST

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Mark O'Brien wrote:
> My own personal response is to send several replies to the sender of
> these messages saying, "Do NOT send this junk out to the whole
> world!" (I also include all the trash they sent to me.)
>
> I figure that if every annoyed recipient was to send these multiple
> replies and flood the sender's mailbox with garbage, they might
> get the idea that I don't want it!

This makes a number of assumptions about the senders' intent --such as
they are *really* trying to sell magazine-- that I suspect aren't valid.
No, more likely these are just geeks who are doing this spam precisely
*because* it is annoying. It is unlikely that they even seen such

As pointed out previously the only real protection against this sort of
thing is a moderator. And as also pointed out, the bandwidth of a list
like this would make that a very big job.

Nichael

P.S. As an aside to the powers that be: The maintainer of one list that
I'm on does the following. He arranges for the domain of the address in
the "from" field to be verified and any message that fails is flagged for
attention by the list-owner.

Needless to say, this scheme is not perfect, but it does a pretty good job
of filtering out clearly bogus postings, such as this magazine-
subscription lossage. --N