The Preservation of the Word

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 12:04:40 EST

This is probably going to label me as scripturally ignorant, but in light of
the recent postings about Biblical Textual Criticism (BTC) vs. Modern Textual
Criticism (MTC), I'd like to ask: Where in the Scriptures does God
explicitly promise to preserve His Word (as the proponent of BTC seems to
say) where "Word" means the written Scriptures or especially the canon of
Scripture, including its each and every letter? Does the Scripture use the
phrase "the Word of God" to mean the written Scriptures? If so, where?

I'm asking for explicit statements in Scripture to that effect, not
inferential or derived arguments or creedal statements.

(I'm not trying to pick a fight or argue that the Scripture does not say
this; I'm just asking. It's always seemed odd to me when discussing the
question of the preservation of the original innerant text that the one New
Testament book (the Apocalypse) which contains a warning about adding to or
subtracting from its words is as I understand it one of the worst attested to
as to its original text in the manuscript tradition. If I'm wrong about that
statement, please let me know. But if it's true, it does raise the question
that if God promised to preserve His canonical written word, why did He do
such a poor job with the Apocalypse?)

With fear and trembling,
Eric Weiss
"NotAScholarJustASecondYearGreekStudent"