RE: THE PRESERVATION OF THE ...

From: Jim Beale (jbeale@gdeb.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 1995 - 12:51:31 EST

On Thu, 07 Dec 95 Perry L. Stepp wrote:

> The current insistence on "jot and tittle perfect" preservation of scripture
> falls apart on two grounds. First, it is clear that the OT text has not
> received this kind of provident preservation. Second, and related, it is clear
> that the NT writers who quote the OT don't hold to this view of preservation.
> Their flexibility in quoting and their use of disparate versions of the LXX
> clearly contradicts the current fundamentalist view. (And I make this
> statement as one who is sometimes thought of as a fundamentalist.)

May I make a hopefully anti-inflammatory comment?

I'm not aware of anyone who holds to "jot and tittle preservation" of
Scripture. For example, in the Chicago statement of Biblical Inerrancy,

    We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its
    parts, down to the very words of the original,
    were given by divine inspiration.
    (Article VI)

    We further affirm that copies and translations of
    Scripture are the Word of God to the extent that
    they faithfully represent the original.
    (Article X)

In attempting to reconstruct, as closely as possible, the original
autographs, textual critics are attempting to reconstruct the Divine
revelation. But since manuscripts differ, the task is by no means a
simple one. But to maintain that the original autographs were the
Word of God, and therefore inerrant, is not to posit an arbitrary
presupposition, IMHO.

I'll just say that for me, the presupposition of inerrancy of the
autographs forms the basis for my worldview. It is not appropriate, IMHO,
to approach Scripture with the philosophical presupposition of errancy.
That sets the human mind over the Biblical revelation, in deciding which
sentence, or clause, or jot or tittle is inspired, and which is not. I
would be willing to defend the claim that this leads to pure subjectivism.

Here we can delve into numerous philosophical issues which I am much more
comfortable with than Greek itself. But, I am not subscribed to the list
to defend these things, although I am always willing, because I think
they are important. There are hundreds of lists for such things. Not many
offer discussions of greek grammar and vocabulary, however.

Jim

  But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide
  you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself;
  but whatever He hears, that He will speak: and He will
  show you things to come. (John 16:13)