Re: Translations/difinitions

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 07:06:39 EST

At 6:26 PM 10/12/95, rrilea wrote:
>While studying Ephesians 1:1 I came across three words that I am not
>familiar with and I could not find them in either "Mastering Greek
>Vocabulary" by Thomas A Robinson or "Lexical Aids For Students of New
>Testament Greek" by Bruce M. Metzger. I am hoping that someone will be
>able to help me translate/define the following words:
>
> TOIS
> hAGIOIS
> OUSIN
>
>Thanks ahead of time for the help.
>
>Rod Rilea

Hi Rod

Speaking as someone who is learning Greek and who still (very) regularly
comes across forms --especially inflected forms-- that I haven't the
slightest idea where they came from, one volume that I find particularly
useful is an analytical lexicon.

A complete version is especially useful in this case because it lists all
the inflected forms that occur in the NT with pointers back to the lemma or
root form.

The particular volume that I have here at my desk is _The Analytical
Lexicon to the Greek NT_ by William D. Mounce (published by Zondervan, I
got my copy throught CBD). Aside from this use, the volume has a number of
other features to recommend it, including a nice grammatical synopsis,
inclusion of variant readings, tables of cross-references, etc. In short,
this book has saved me any number of times.

Hope this helps,

Nichael "... and they opened their thesaurus
nichael@sover.net and brought forth gold,
http://www.sover.net/~nichael and frankincense and myrrh."