1 John 3:6&9

From: Lee Attema (attema@richmond.infi.net)
Date: Sat Dec 09 1995 - 14:03:04 EST

I wonder about the proper translation of 1 John 3:6 and 9. Some NT scholars
(S. Kubo, C.H. Dodd and I. Howard Marshall ) believe that the translation of
the verbs (sin) in question must be punctiliar. If this is so then the
verses must imply that the Christian cannot sin. If he sins then he has not
known God. See the Bible Knowledge Commentary for development along that
line. However I noted that Dana and Mantey Intermediate Greek Grammar
referenced 1 John 3:6 from the index and identified the use of the present
as expressing a durative not a punctiliar sense. A.T. Robertson's Grammar of
the Greek New Testament references both 1 John 3:6 and 9 suggesting that the
present tenses are durative and that the present infinitive of sin in verse
nine also has a durative sense. If that is so then the better sense would be
that the Christian does not continue to sin, or the Christian does not
practice sin. Blass and Debrunner in their Greek Grammar of the NT suggest
that the sense of the present tense is often durative but do not cite 1
John. I am a novice at Greek and could use some direction since my "sources"
point in two different directions. Also could anyone suggest better
references for understanding the translation/interpretation of the NT than
the grammars above? Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Lee Attema
attema@richmond.infi.net
3208 Bute Lane
Richmond, VA 23221