Re: John 5:39-40

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 09:05:11 EST

Carl wrote:
>I think it is, but it will have to be granted that this is an
extraordinary
>usage of KAI, as if it were KAITOI. Frankly, although John's gospel is
>easier to read than Mark's, its diction is anomalous at many points. I
>wonder whether this KAI might be viewed as a Semitism, a KAI used like a
>Hebrew V'.
>
>Carl W. Conrad

I haven't anywhere near the same foundation as you or Carlton in language.
Generally, when reading Greek, I must relate it to concepts in English (or
other modern language) and not with classical languages. Sometimes, I
think, it can work to my advantage. In this case, for instance, bringing
the thought over to English, I see nothing extraordinary about it.

For instance, I tell my daughters: "I've explained this time and time
again, but you still don't get it!"

Or I say: "I've explained this time and time again, and you still don't
get it!?!"

The use of and (rather than but) as an adversative conjunction gives a
stronger emphasis, pointing out more vividly the irony of the situation.

My .02.

Ellen