Re: John 5:39-40

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 12:50:32 EST

Carl Conrad wrote;
>I think it is, but it will have to be granted that this is an extraordinary
>usage of KAI, as if it were KAITOI. Frankly, although John's gospel is
>easier to read than Mark's, its diction is anomalous at many points. I
>wonder whether this KAI might be viewed as a Semitism, a KAI used like a
>Hebrew V'.

I would agree that KAI often seems to mimic the V' "consecutive" in Hebrew
such as the occurrence of KAI EGENETO. I have not considered if this is a
similar instance. It is a bit different from the construction in Hebrew
and my first guess would be that it is not.

Carlton Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College,
Pineville,La