Re: Syntax of the Beattitudes

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 1995 - 01:22:03 EST

Dear Carl,

  I'm afraid I'm still puzzled for two reasons.
1. If AUTOI is just a simple pronoun, why is it used? The verb alone
can express the subject.
2. AUTWN is obvioulsy a genitive, but what is the nominative it
modifies, since EINAI must take a nominative? I'm not sending this
note to the whole list, because perhaps I'm just not seeing the obvious,
but I think a literal translation would be something like
"IT is of them the kingdom of God" or "The Kingdom of God is [the thing --
unexpressed object] of them/that belongs to them/for them."
Is my problem clearer? Thanks.

Ken