Re: English grammar help

From: Stephen Carlson (scc@ropes.reston.icl.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 1995 - 12:07:26 EST

Ellen Adams wrote:
> >The writers of this English grammar notes that for informal English,
> >the grammatical rule is changing from a case concord rule to a
> >territoriality rule. Basically, pronouns are found either in a
> >"subject territory" (before the verb) or in an "object territory"
> >(after the verb or preposition). Under this analysis, the rule favors
> >"who" in "The Son of Man is the Messiah who Jesus claims to be" because
> >"who" is in subject territory; and "him" in "Jesus claims to be him"
> >because "him" is in object territory.
>
> ??Does that mean we're slowly doing away with predicate nominatives??

Yes. We are slowly becoming like the French and the Louis who said
"L'etat, c'est moi" -- no predicate nominative there (*"L'etat, c'est
je" is a faux-pas.). The territoriality rule seems to govern French
grammar in this respect.

[...]
> Would it be okay if I forwarded them your post? They might appreciate the
> information.

Feel free to send it on.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.
scc@reston.icl.com  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.