Re: ANASTAS, EUQUS IN MARK

From: Bruce W. Cory (cory@checkov.hm.udayton.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 20 1995 - 09:19:58 EST

> And while I'm on the topic, what about EUQUS in Mark? If it really
> is superfluous, why do so many English versions have "immediately"
> so often?

     Just my personsal opinion... I would translate EUQUS. This is
just not the superfluous use of the word. It is used repeatedly in
the Markan gospel for a specific purpose: to stress the immediacy of
the message. Not to translate it looses some of the gospel message:
the urgency of the proclamation, the rush toward the cross. It may
seem jerky and awkward, but it relates the message.

Bruce W. Cory
Department of Religious Studies
University of Dayton
(513) 229-4397