Re: "biblical" vs. "modern" textual criticism

From: Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 18:05:28 EST

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Timothy Bratton wrote:
> ... And if God were so determined to
> preserve a particular Biblical text as canonical -- for example, the
> *Textus Receptus* of 1611 -- why did He permit the discovery of
> *Sinaiticus*, *Vaticanus*, the Chester Beatty papyri, and other
> previously unknown sources within the last century? Or are you going to
> claim that Satan is stirring up strife in Christian circles by deluding
> Prof. Metzger and his associates? For all the abuse you insist on
> heaping on members of this list, they are studying the Bible intently,
> trying to extract every nuance of expression, in order to understand the
> Word of God more clearly. Finally, your onw line of reasoning can be
> turned against your argument. Might it not be that God has chosen to
> reveal additional manuscripts because the "standard" text was being
> misinterpreted or misapplied, so that He, in His infinite wisdom, led
> Biblical scholars to find these?

More to the point, my concern is with those poor souls unfortunate enough
to have lived in the seven or eight centuries _before_ this sanctioned
text became the majority text. What is their fate? Were they sacrificed
to perdition in order that we who are lucky enough to have lived since
Erasmus might be saved?