Re: concessive clauses

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 1995 - 12:06:01 EST

> I am reading a book, "A Manual Grammar of the Greek New
>Testament", by Dana and Mantey. I'm wondering if anyone can explain to
>me what a concessive clause is. It occurs with an indicative verb.

A concessive clause is an adverbial subordinated clause that indicates an
unfavorable circumstance despite which the action of the main verb takes
place. It can be translated with "Although" or some such expression in
English. They can be introduced in Greek by KAIPER, KAITOI, KAITOIGE.

Carlton Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College,
Pineville,La