Chrism, Baptism, and the Me

From: Bob Erck (bob_erck@qmgate.anl.gov)
Date: Thu Dec 28 1995 - 15:28:58 EST

Mail*Link(r) SMTP Chrism, Baptism, and the Messiah

........You are interpreting
"Christ" to mean literally that Jesus could not have become the
Messiah until he was baptized with chrism, while I would maintain
that it refers to the _kingship_ of the Messiah. How do the
other members of this list interpret this?..............

"Little Kittel's" comments on chriw occupy more than 14 pages.

Found in Homer: to rub... to smear with oils (weapons, etc).
christos - smeared on
chrisma - that what is rubbed on, ointment, etc.

OT - Anointing is meant to promote well being. Legally, confers strength or
majesty. Most commonly in OT for a king, part of ritual of enthronement.
Several kings in OT anointed. Extended to priests for purification. Sometimes
to objects (tabernacle). Rare for prophets. Saul most often referred to as
"the Lord's anointed."
Apocypyha/pseudepigrapha - similar idea of priestly, kingly.
Qumran - expected two messianic figures.
Josephus does not use the term messiah for those who lay claim to royal or
prophetic office in 1st c. CE.
Talmud/Midrash - Messiah often associated with David. A non-divine righteous
king and teacher. Reign of abundance. Rebuild temple.
Luke uses christos kyriou, Paul often uses only christos, Jesus gets the title
ho christos <iesous.
A common formula of Paul is "the gospel of Christ," and he uses prepositions
with "Christ."
In the epistles, "Christ Jesus" connects the two.
In Polycarp we find the full form "our Lord Jesus Christ."

I will let wiser heads expound about the other 95% of what is covered, mostly
NT.