Re: Acts 1:2

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Tue Jan 02 1996 - 18:29:37 EST

Ken Litwak wrote;
> Is there any grammatical way to inow whether dia pneumatos (agiou
>refers back to entellw (Jesus, after having commanded the apostles
>through the Holy Spirit) or to eklegomai (Jesus chose the apostles
>through the Holy Spirit)? Thanks.

Ken, all of vs. 2 is a relative clause with ACRI hHS . . . ANELHMFQH,
telling time. Inside this relative clause is another relative clause, hOUS
EXELEXATO which modifies the apostles. If the prep. phrase modified
EXELEXATO, it would more likely follow it or be within the relative clause
of which this is the verb. This is the reason that the translations I have
consulted translate in a way that makes clear the fact that DIA PNEUMATOS
hAGIOU modifies ENTEILAMENOS.

Grace,

Carlton Winbery
Chair Religion/Philosophy