Re: Hamartia, cHata, and related concepts :)

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Mon Jan 01 1996 - 00:52:10 EST

On Sun, 31 Dec 1995, Rod Decker wrote:

> > "Hamartia" brings to mind the image of an archery target "bullseye." The
> >mark is the exact center of the target. To hit an outer ring is
> >"hamartanein," to miss the mark. Applied to the category of sin, anything
> >less than absolute perfection in performance would be "missing the mark."
>
> The NT pix of sin is, IMHO, something more than hitting the outer ring of a
> target. Too often the etymologizing approach goes to the slingsmen of the
> OT who could cast a stone at a handsbreadth and not 'sin'--i.e., miss
> ('harmartanw' in LXX). It is more like shooting at the _wrong target_. It
> is not that people try to "hit God's mark" but come a bit short. "Sin"
> points to a deliberate rebellion against his standard (to mix the metaphors
> a bit). This explan. cannot be based on the "mng." of the word 'harmartia'
> but comes from the biblical theology of sin (context, not etymology).

        The passage that comes to mind right away is Rom. 3:23, "For all
have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Gross rebellion against
God is sometimes pointed out as sin in the NT, but it appears that sin is
not limited to that. We should take into account also Paul's statements
about those who try to please God by the "flesh." These certainly may
not be aware of any rebellion against God on their part, but they sin in
falling short of the righteousness God has provided.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore