Re: Hamartia, cHata, and related concepts :)

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Jan 03 1996 - 11:55:17 EST

note: I intended to send this to the list but failed to put the address in.
David Moore wrote;
> The passage that comes to mind right away is Rom. 3:23, "For all
>have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Gross rebellion against
>God is sometimes pointed out as sin in the NT, but it appears that sin is
>not limited to that. We should take into account also Paul's statements
>about those who try to please God by the "flesh." These certainly may
>not be aware of any rebellion against God on their part, but they sin in
>falling short of the righteousness God has provided.

I think that in this discussion we are trying to talk of the NT concept of
sin by discussing only one word, hAMARTIA, a derivative of hAMARTANW.
Other words derived from this can also help such as hAMARTHMA, that which
someone has done that's wrong or contrary to God; hMARTWLOS, adj.
pertaining to sinful acts or as a noun a person who does sinful acts.
Other words that must be taken into consideration are; PARAPTWMA, a
transgression of the will of God; AGNOHMA, an act done in ignorance of
God's will; hUPERBAINW, going beyond the will of God; PTAIW, stumbling or
failing to live up to God's will; SKANDALON, a cause of sinning or causing
someone else to fail; PROSKOMMA, taking the opportunity to sin or cause
someone to sin; ENOICOS, guilty or liable; PONHROS, adj. guilty or evil, as
a noun one who has done an evil deed. There are dozens of other words,
especially in Paul in the lists of vices, that help depict the concept of
sin. IMHO, the best commentary on sin is in Ezekiel 18 where sin, whether
overt or apathetic, is rebellion against God.
Grace for us all,

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La