Re: Mistery square

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 1996 - 20:49:35 EST

>I'm an italian journalist specialized in archaeology and history, and this
>is my very first time here on CLASSICS just I got subscription few days ago.
>I'd like to ask you informations about the following phrase :
>
> SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS
>
>I've found it on the main wall of some churchs here in Italy. It's written
>on the stone in the following way :
>
> SATOR
> AREPO
> TENTE
> OPERA
> ROTAS
>
>It appears like 5 words of 5 characters each one, to make a 5 letter side
>square. Someone calls it the "magic square". No one knows what is it, where
>does it come from and who did it. In some places the carved stone is up side
>down.
>In possible, I'd like to know :
>
>1) if someone of you have seen it somewhere (with all possible details about
>the place).
>
>2) if someone of you has any information about it.
>
>3) any source reporting about it.
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>

>Giovanni Lattanzi
>E mail giolat@mbox.vol.it

The best discussion of this mystery square known to me is the following:

Hildebrecht Hommel, "Die Satorformel unbd ihr Ursprung," pp. 84-130 in
_Sebasmata. Studien zukr antiken Religionsgeschichte und zum fruehen
Christentum_ I. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 31.
Tuebingen: J. C. B. Mohr (Paul Siebeck), 1983.

The work was originally published in _Theologia Viatorum. Jahrbuch der
Kirchl. Hochschule Berlin_ 4 (1952) 133-180, and first reprinted in H.
Hommel. _Schoepfer und Erhalter. Studien zum Problem Christentum und
Antike_. Berlin: Lettner Verlag, 1956, pp. 32-79 with additions on pp.
141-146.

Hommel offers a number of different suggestions for decoding the square and
includes comprehensive references to earlier bibliography in his notes.

I hope that Hommel's work will provide the information you seek.

Cordially, Ed Krentz

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street