FW: Mistery square

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Fri Jan 05 1996 - 16:49:36 EST

        I found the book that the possible solution to that puzzle came
from. It's _Comentario arqueolo'gico de la Biblia_ by Gonzalo
Ba'ez-Camargo. The book is also available in translation in English,
although I don't have the exact wording of the title.

        On pp. 223-4 of the Spanish edition there is a reference to the
acrostic in question and the following comment that might be of interest
to b-greek:

        That [this acrostic] was found in Pompey, which was destroyed in
        79 AD, would demonstrate, if [the Pater noster] interpretation is the
        correct one, first, that before this date a Christian congregation
        existed in that Roman city, and, second, that the form of the prayer
        that appears in the Gospel according to Matthew is the most ancient,
        since Luke, according to Papyrus 75, from the beginning of the 3rd
        Century, and the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus codices, both from the
        4th Century, read only "Father."

        I know that the above quote is *translated*, and it may be called
into question whether it's really possible to communicate the original
message in another language. But I've done my best, so I hope you at
least get the general idea.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore