Keys of death & hell

From: GTCOTR@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 04 1996 - 15:44:31 EST

Would anyone care to comment on the statement by Jesus in Rev. 1:18:

18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever!
And I hold the keys of death and Hades. (NIV)

Is there any hint as to time of possession of the keys? Did He always have
the keys, and is simply making a declarative statement, or has He just
recently received or "taken back" the keys?

Does the phrase "keys of death and Hades" hint to other usages or imagery in
other writings?

Hebrews 2:14 mentions the devil as having had the "power of death." Is this
a related related phrase to Rev. 1:18?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Kenneth Bent
gtcotr@aol.com