Re: Didache 1:5

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 1996 - 09:11:45 EST

Carl,

    My problem isn't how to understand EK TWN. I got that covered. I am
in fact of the understanding that the definite article can serve as a
possessive pronoun at times.
possessive pronoun at times. Is that wrong? My problem is that EK TWN
IDIWN ChARISMATWN is aplural, yet it is translated asa singular.
It should be "from their own gifts" not, as Lightfoot has it, "From His
own gifts". Tha't's my problem. Plural where there is a singular an-
tecedent and it is translated by Lightfoot who doubtless knows (or rather
knew Gr) Greek fairly well I thinnk we'd all agree. Thanks.

Ken