Porter on elided verbs

From: Bruce Terry (terry@bible.acu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 1996 - 14:47:22 EST

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

>I'm wondierng
>if the ginou should be seen as implied in the following coordinated mhd
>clauses, or if isqe is implied or if these should be understood with no
>verb at all. I would previously have gone for the first or second choice
>except that I've now read Porter arguing that the undestanding of
>nominal clauses as having an elided auxillary verb is incorrect (anyone want
>to comment on that argument?).

Ken--

Could you give a reference to this Porter statement? Also, do you mean
copula or linking verb rather than auxillary verb? Where the copula is
optional, one's theory of linguistic deep structure goes a long way in helping
to decide whether an underlying verb has been elided or not.

--Bruce

Bruce Terry E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769