Re: hINATI' in Didache 5

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 15 1996 - 17:03:06 EST

At 7:03 PM 1/14/96, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
>> >I suspect that the Didache is a Christianization of the Damascus Documents
>> >found in Cairo and amonst the Dead Sea Scrolls. Those interested may wish to
>> >look into this. Perhaps it will offer some insight to language usage within
>> >it.
>>

> Well, I don't know about the Dasmascus Document-Didache connection,
>ubt I do think the Greek of the Didache is interesting. In working
>throught he first five chapters, I've noticed a huge number of words
>which either do not occur in the NT or do not occur in secular Greek or
>both. There are somepalces where the only other known occurence is in
>the Apostolic Constitutions, quoting the Didache! Furthermore, while
>I generlaly think the Didache in this portion at least says lots of
>right-on stuff (except for the bit about bringing a gift for the ransom
>of your sins), for the most part it does not seem in these chapters to
>be distinctly Christian particularly. It talks about virtues and vices,
>but does not root them, as Paul or Peter or James do in their writings,
>with who believers are in Christ very much. Paul seems unable to write
>very many lines without mentioning Christ or Christ Jesus, etc. The
>Didache shows no such tendency. ALso, I've noticed what seems to me to
>be a trend of omitting the definite article with a clearly substantive
>participle. I don't think, though I don't have statistics for it, that
>this is a common NT Greek practice. So it seems to me that even though
>the Didache in this section at least quotes the Sermon on the MOunt
>(wihtout saying so), overall it does not seem that the author was
>interested in imitating NT style, vocabulary or syntax.
>
> Then again, I found the small amount of translation I've done this
>last weekend in the Martyrdom of Polycarp to not seem much like NT Greek
>either. In fact, MP is some of the hardest Greek I've ever worked on,
>Hebrews included.

I think, Ken, that what you're experiencing in reading patristic Greek is
not the exception but the rule: ALL of it is harder than most of the Greek
you read in the NT. There are several reasons for this; I'll only name a
couple: (1) Once the Christian faith definitively leaves the Hellenistic
Jewish linguistic sphere affected by LXX (Semitizing) Greek constructions
and enters the mainstream of Greco-Roman Koine, the more it will be
expressed in the literary and administrative language normal to
Greek-speaking Gentiles of the Roman empire; (2) by no means unrelated to
the foregoing, the style of the Greek is going to reflect a somewhat
standardized Greek educational curriculum emphasizing the literary classics
and rhetoric; this is all the more true in the second century of our era,
when the schools are increasingly subject to a movement to write Greek not
in the spoken vernacular Koine but in the archaizing Attic of the 5th and
4th centuries B.C.E.

(314) 935-4018