Addendum to my Litwak-reply

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 22 1996 - 10:25:55 EST

        I meant to add a comment to my previous "What to do" reply to Ken
Litwak's inquiry. Here it is:
        Alan Brehm's post on the subject of case-functions in the various
grammars is a jewel! I hope that not only Ken, but everyone reading it
will take it to heart. The grammars are not sent to us by God -- they are
written by scholars who share their careful analyses of what they actually
find in the literature, in order to be helpful in an organized way. There
are obviously different ways of being helpful, and thus there are different
organizations of the data. We should be thankful for that. What is
helpful for me may not be the most helpful for you. Alan Brehm has very
neatly shown some of the benefits of various such efforts.

Edward Hobbs