Grammatical Meaning

From: H A. Brehm (102733.3234@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 1996 - 22:06:09 EST

Regarding Carlton's replies to my post, I would like to make a couple of
clarifications:

1. I agree that you cannot really separate the functions of prepositions from
the functions of the cases, since there is so much overlap. Nevertheless, I
find it helpful to my students to make it quite clear when I'm dealing with the
cases by themselves and when I'm dealing with a case form with a preposition [as
Brooks and Winbery certainly do in their text].

2. Of course BDF and others speak of a Dative of Advantage, referring to the use
of the case alone. I was simply using the example that Ken mentioned in his
query.

3. The preposition chart in Brooks and Winbery ALONE is worth the price of the
book! I have augmented it and created a "cheat sheet" for my classes.

4. I find it helpful, even in my eight-case world, to preserve five-case
terminology. When my students use BAGD, they need to know that "genitive" often
means "ablatival genitive." Don't tell my colleagues at SWBTS--they might try
me for heresy for departing from ATR ;-).

BTW, Carlton, thanks for the insights on the writing process. I got quite a
kick out of your line, "Jim must have picked that one"!

H. Alan Brehm
Assistant Prof. of NT
Southwestern Bapt. Theol. Sem.
P. O. Box 22458