Re: Aorists etc

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Wed Jan 24 1996 - 12:19:24 EST

Carl:

You wrote in B-GREEK:

>> that weird verb used of feeling compassion, SPLAGXNIZOMAI; its aorist is
ESPLAGXQHN, which is obviously not passive. As I recall, we even have an
imperative of this verb addressed to Jesus by someone wanting healing,
SPLAGXNISQHTI--and of course this isn't passive in meaning either. As I
recall, we even have an imperative of this verb addressed to Jesus by
someone wanting healing, SPLAGXNISQHTI--and of course this isn't passive in
meaning either. <<

On:
> that weird verb used of feeling compassion, SPLAGXNIZOMAI;

What's so weird about experiencing feelings in the bowels, guts, etc?
I know I do. I may ( or may not ) think about them afterwards in my head,
but that's not where I experience my feelings!!

BTW, the SPLAGXNA of Lk 1:78 is rendered as "tender mercy" in both the KJV
and the RSV but world-wide is known to Roman Catholics as " loving kindness
" -- that is because when the Divine Office was produced in English after
Vatican II, it used the Grail translation. True to their English backgrounds
they used a phrase first used in an English bible ( so I am told by a friend
who is a rabbi with an Oxford doctorate in Classical Greek ! ) by Tyndale.
Maybe there were trying to making belated amends for that death at the stake.
Anyway, world-wide, the Benedictus in Morning Prayer every day commemorates
Tyndale, whether those participating know it or not.

> SPLAGXNIZOMAI; its aorist is ESPLAGXQHN, which is obviously not passive

Maybe I've got myself confused between pass. dep and mid. dep but the big
LS&J gives, under SPLAGXNEUW:
 II. Med. ( with aor. pass -ISTHN ) feel pity, compassion ....

>As I recall, we even have an imperative of this verb addressed to Jesus by
someone wanting healing, SPLAGXNISQHTI--

If you are thinking of:
Mark 9:22 And it has often cast him into the fire and into the water, to
destroy
him; but if you can do anything, have pity on us and help us."

'have pity' is SPLAGXNISQEIS, with the imperative being reserved for BOHW.
My Zerwick and Grosvenor "Grammatical Analysis" , notes that the form of
SPLAGXNIZOMAI as: " the aorist ptc. commonly den. action prior to that of
the main vb. " with a reference to par. 261 of Zerwick's grammar.

Regards, and my thanks for giving me a pointer about the Mastronarde book.

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie

[using Eudora Pro v 2.1.2 ]