Re: grammar

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 1996 - 17:29:41 EST

Jim Love wrote;
>Speaking of word origins (I like logical lapses) I have a question
>about "orthotomeo" does it have any origin in wood working? I
>remember hearing that the older craftsmen thought that saws were for
>poor cutters and if you knew what you were doing you could cut right
>with an axe. (18th and 19th century) It got me wondering.

The vulgate reading seems to indicate that they understood this verb
without the idea of cutting, RECTE TRACTANTEM "rightly handling . . ." I
read somewhere that some of the church fathers associated the verb
ORTHOTOMEO with the craft of stonemasons, smoothing the stones so they fit.
Probably here the fathers are right that the idea of cutting has faded
into history.
charis,

Carlton Winbery
Chair Religion/Philosophy