Re: magazine offers

From: Rod Decker (rdecker@inf.net)
Date: Sun Jan 28 1996 - 10:01:56 EST

>If there is some way you can get the list server to save the routing and
>headers from these obnoxious spams, I will attempt to contact the system
>administrator for the perpetrator's system. Meanwhile, can we set the
>server to filter out any message with the heading "GET A WHOLE YEAR FREE!"?
>
>+++
>DCP
>+++

Here is the scoop as I know it:

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 12:47:18 -0400
To: B-GREEK@virginia.edu
From: Nichael Lynn Cramer <nichael@sover.net> Subject: Magazine Spam

[Needless to say, this is incredibly off-topic, but there's been so much
discussion on this topic that I thought some folks might be interested. In
any case, below is a message sent out to another list to which I belong
which contains a lot of information about the source and nature of the
"Magazine Spam". --N]

LLipsitz, Kevin Jay (KJL2) krazykev@KJL.COM 718-967-1234

>Record last updated on 25-Aug-95.
>Record created on 20-Apr-95.

>Domain servers in listed order:

>NS1.ABS.NET 206.42.80.130
>NS2.ABS.NET 206.42.80.131
>NS1.NET99.NET 204.157.3.2

>If you want proof that this is the guy, you need only note that the
>address given here is the -same- as the address for ordering magazines
>given in all those advertisements. The phone number is in the same area
>code and exchange as the Fax number he sometimes gives. (Although the fact
>that the phone number ends in "1234" makes me suspect it is bogus -- I
>don't think think the NIC tries to -verify- any of this information.)
>Notice that ABS.NET provides the domain service for KJL.COM. You will find
>that ABS.NET is no more interested in answering your mail than Mr. Lipsitz
>is.

>Finally, I urge you all -not- to respond to this message in public. If you
>have further thoughts on Internet advertising, electronic mailing list
>administration, or clever acts of revenge, you can send them to -me-, but
>don't CC your message to Cube-Lovers as a whole. The whole point here is
>to keep Cube-Lovers relatively free of off-topic mail. As the list
>administrator I get to send out occasional administrivia such as this
>message because I do actual -work- to keep the list running.

>- Alan (Cube-Lovers-Request@AI.MIT.EDU)

Nichael "... and they opened their thesaurus
nichael@sover.net and brought forth gold,
http://www.sover.net/~nichael and frankincense and myrrh."

Rodney J. Decker Calvary Theological Seminary
Asst. Prof./NT 15800 Calvary Rd.
rdecker@inf.net Kansas City, Missouri 64147