My (unofficial) Shorter Guide to Perseus on the Web

From: Shaughn Daniel (shaughn.daniel@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 00:08:41 EST

X-Mood Rating: Quick & Dirty

           My (unofficial) Shorter Guide to Perseus on the Web
              by Shaughn Dallas Daniel, Tuebingen, Germany.

        TOPICS

          1.0 My Equipment
          2.0 My Questions & Strategies/Tricks
          3.0 Notes

1.0 My Equipment
    - Macintosh Performa 5300, 100 MHz, 14.400 modem
    - SLIP connection
    - Netscape 2.02b6a with 8 megs allocated to RAM in get info window
    - Settings for fonts in Netscape:
        fixed font = Attika

2.0 My Questions & Strategies/Tricks

I want to know the following: a. all the Greek words in LSJ in which the
word "blessed" is given as a rendering, b. all the texts on Perseus where
those Greek words occur, and c. all the texts not listed in LSJ, but on
Perseus, where those Greek words appear.

I type in the following URL into Netscape:

     http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/enggreek?entry=blessed

This returns a list to my browser of all the Greek word entries in LSJ
(either complete or intermediate) which include the word "blessed". There
are also other links on each Greek word: the LSJ for direct viewing of the
definition, frequencies link, and Search link. Set the floating menu "Greek
Display" to Greek and press the "Search" button. This gives you the words
in Greek font now. Skip all this for the moment and press the line above
the list of words: See ALL THE OCCURRENCES of these words in Perseus [all
caps here means a link on the web page]. Now you have yourself a whopper
page in which you can look at the Greek texts. The definition link is
included under each Greek word, so you can click and hold down on
"DEFINITION" and to select "New Window with this Link" from the Netscape
hidden popup menu feature. The page brought up is either LSJ complete or
intermediate with links to the texts appearing on Perseus. Look at the LSJ,
compare that to the list in the previous window which has references and
you can see what is "missing" in LSJ.

Hint: Actually, this is where you can "contribute" to Greek studies,
actually, by looking up and categorizing these references uncited in LSJ.
Further, take this list of words and all their texts, digest them into a
nice word study, and you've got the basis for doing a word study with the
TLG and Hellenistic texts, including the LXX, seeing the variety of
vocabulary the translators of the LXX may have had at their disposal, and
then comparing that to NT words and concepts.

Viewing the texts on Perseus with two frames (one with Greek, the other
with English):
 A. If in the LSJ entry web window, then click on a link and you should
    get two framed with Greek in one side and English in the other.

 B. For citations not in LSJ, do the following:
    1. put your cursor over a link in the big whopper page;
    2. look at the link that appears at the bottom of the window
       in Netscape when the cursor turns to a hand;
    3. quickly slide the mouse to the other web window (this one
       has the LSJ entry with links in alltext?lookup format already)--
       this should result in you being able to select the other window
       but keeping the link in the bottom of the whopper page window.
    4. type in the citation into the URL below replacing "xen.+anab.+5.6.4"
       with the reference you want (the one at the bottom of the whopper
       page window).

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/alltext?lookup=xen.+anab.+5.6.4&display
=Greek&nomorph=1&vers=

    5. if all goes well, then you will have Greek and English in two
       frames for cutting and pasting to your favorite word processor.

3.0 NOTES:

"Netscape", "Perseus", "Macintosh", "Big Whopper", "Attika", "Helvetica",
and probably some other words I've missed in this post are trademarks of
some cool companies. Search at www.yahoo.com under those words to find out
about them, if you wish.

Corrections, suggestions, improvements, etc. can be directed to me at the
address listed below. And, yes, they are appreciated! =)

[]______________________________________________________________.
| |\
| Shaughn Daniel shaughn.daniel@student.uni-tuebingen.de | |
| Tuebingen, Germany | |
| I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally | |
| walk through into another dimension. --Steven Wright | |

The sagacious reader who is capable of reading between these lines
what does not stand written in them, but is nevertheless implied,
will be able to form some conception.
          Goethe. Autobiography. Book xviii. Truth and Beauty.