Sigma

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Tue Jan 30 1996 - 12:20:36 EST

I understand (I learned 1st year Greek from Mounce's book) that in verb
formation, the sigma normally drops out when it's between two vowels, and the
two vowels then contract. (also see Smyth 120)

Why is this not true for the sigma in the tense formatives for the 1st aorist
and future tenses? Smyth (666 -- cf. 20.b., 35.c.) seems to be addressing
this for the aorist, but only explains how the alpha came to be added to the
aorist tense formative, not why the sigma, now that it's between two vowels,
doesn't drop out.

Please cc: any responses to eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov (my e-mail address).

Thanks!