Re: O)CU?S = wood sorrel????

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 17:57:08 EST

On 1/30/96, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

> According to LSJM at Perseus, o)cu/s means "wood sorrel". That can't
>possibly
> be its meaning in WisSol 7:22. Am I missing something in the LSJM entry or is
> LSJM missing the boat here? Thanks.

I don't know exactly what your transliteratIon scheme is, but if c = xi,
then your word SHOULD be the adjective, OCUS, OCEIA, OCU, meaning "sharp,"
"keen," or "high-pitched." If this is the passage I think it is, it
probably qualifies the word for spirit (sorry, I don't have a LXX with me
at home to check the verse).

(314) 935-4018