Re: Greek fonts

From: Paul J. Bodin (pjbodin@sirius.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 1996 - 10:08:21 EST

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Will Wagers wrote:

>Paul J. Bodin writes:
>
>>I don't know where you got your information, but electronic fonts are
>>definitely copyrightable and many of them are copyrighted.
>
>Apparently, it is not as clear cut as you imagine. Apparently, type faces
>are not protected by copyright law.

Ahh, I see you did not read my message very carefully. Typefaces are
usually not protected by copyright law--most are in the public domain.
Electronic fonts are not merely typefaces, however, and original work is
copyrightable.

Buying ten copies of LSJ and giving them to friends is not unauthorized
distribution--when you buy a copy you pay the copyright holder for the
privilege of doing as you please with the copy you purchase as long as
you don't duplicate any portion beyond "fair use".

 Paul J. Bodin Internet: pjbodin@sirius.com
 Seminary Pastor smail: 1333 66th Street
 Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary Berkeley, CA 94702