Re: Greek fonts

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Jan 29 1996 - 18:25:48 EST

Will Wagers wrote;

>Apparently, it is not as clear cut as you imagine. Apparently, type faces
>are not protected by copyright law. But, there are tricks authors can use
>to bring them under the law. (Have you noticed than many manufacturers
>distribute the fonts free, but charge for the software to use them?) Or, so
>I read anyway. I wish I had kept the FAQ I read, so I could pass it on, but
>it fell to the disk space axe. Anyone who creates fonts for a living would,
>naturally, like us to think it is a cut and dried matter (and we may hear
>from them to that effect).

I recall that Zondervan had to pay an undisclosed amount to Linquistics
Software because of unauthorized distribution of the font Alexandria. Had
Philip had enough to continue in court the settlement could have been much
more. The key is "unauthorized use." Sure you can buy books and
distribute them, but you should read the notice on copyrighted software
(fonts are included as software) which limits copying privileges to
personal use not distribution. In using fonts in publishing, my publishers
made me get permission for the publication of camera ready material citing
the opinion of there legal counsel based on case law that it was a
violation even to publish a book written with copyrighted fonts without
getting permission and complying with the terms of that permission. If you
are doing this as a member of a college staff, the college also should be
interesting in making sure you toe the line, for your institution can be
held liable for unauthorized use. My college makes sure that programs and
fonts used here are backed by the original copies of the software and that
any program used by more than one person is backed by a site license.

Carlton Winbery
Chair Religion/Philosophy
LA College,
Pineville,La