On your post earlier today

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 30 1996 - 16:27:28 EST

From: LUCY::EHOBBS "Edward Hobbs" 30-JAN-1996 16:26:22.86
To: IN%"b-greek@virginia.edu"
CC: EHOBBS
Subj: On Conrad's "using lexicons & learning Greek"

Dear Colleagues on this List:

        Carl Conrad's post this morning on "using lexicons and learning
Greek" is one of the finest statements I have ever seen on the subject. It
is what I have tried, dozens and dozens of times in the 48-plus years I
have taught Greek, to express; but Carl's formulation/expression of it is
so much better than anything I have ever managed, and so much better than
anything I have ever seen, that I wish it could be read and re-read daily
by every person learning Greek (and that certainly includes me, for I am
still learning to read Greek).

        PLEASE download this wondrous short essay, and have it engraved in
stone or with gold letters--or, if you can't manage that, read it weekly
(or daily) to your Greek students, and to yourself as well.

        As a (thoroughly inadequate) addendum, let me say that my teaching
has always rejected translation as the goal of reading a passage of Greek,
not only because it is not the point of studying Greek (actually, quite a
few [thousand] translations of the NT already exist, if you need one), but
because translation is a quite distinct skill from understanding, a skill
which is in fact rather rare.

Edward Hobbs
Wellesley