Re: tenses

From: nmartola@aqiba.abo.fi
Date: Thu Feb 01 1996 - 14:02:04 EST

I am new to this list, so I don't know to which extent you have discussed

Øthis question before. But since the following book hasn't been mentioned I

Øthought it would be worthwhile to remind of it. It's a very stimulating

Øbook, and deals also with Greek:

Harald Weinrich, Tempus : besprochene und erzŠhlte Welt. 4. Aufl. Stuttgart

Ø: Kohlhammer, 1985

//Nils Martola

//Abo Akademi University

//nmartola@aqiba.abo.fi

//--- forwarded letter

Ø-------------------------------------------------------

> > Would anyone care to answer a basic question: why do verb tenses change

Øso

> > easily in a narrative? For example (among many) in the parable of Matt

> > 13:24-30, the servants and the master have a conversation which is

> > introduced by verbs in the aorist (eipon and ephe, vv27-28) but then the

> > conversation continues introduced by verbns of speaking in the present

> > tense (legousin and phesi), Is the present tense here meant to imply an

> > on-going or repeated conversation,a stance being taken?

> We've had this question before (I know, because I have asked a similar

> question), and the basic answer seems to be that shifting to the present

> tense for verbs of speaking serves to highlight what is being said. In

> other words, it is used to emphasize or focus the attention on a

Øparticular

> statement. There are those on this list who know the topic better than I,

> so I may missing some important nuances.

> Stephen Carlson

> --

> Stephen Carlson : Poetry speaks of aspirations, : ICL, Inc.

> scc@reston.icl.com : and songs chant the words. : 11490 Commerce

ØPark Dr.

> (703) 648-3330 : Shujing 2:35 : Reston, VA 22091

ØUSA