Re: upsilon (and Hebrew vav/waw)

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Sun Feb 04 1996 - 17:10:43 EST

>> Waw was probably a sonant, or else the plene spelling in Hebrew will make
>> little sense, as well as the sound of the digamma. The only issue, of
>> course, is when waw came to be a vav, so to speak, and I have no > > >
>additional information about that...
>>
>> Stephen Carlson
>> - --

>Yemenite Jews of today continue to pronounce the vav as waw. Whether this
>is a holdover from ancient pronunciation due to the community's relative
>isolation or simply an influence from Arabic pronunciation (waw not vav), I
>am not aware. I understand that classical Arabic has remained relatively
>stable over the centuries; perhaps the Yemenite Hebrew has followed suit.
>

>Noam Hendren <noamh@netmedia.net.il>

        I just noticed that, in my previous post in this thread, I
essentially repeated the observation that Stephen Carlson makes above
about the plene spelling. Please pardon the oversight on my part.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore