Re: 1 Pet. 2:5

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 02 1996 - 13:14:40 EST

>Perhaps I am missing something, and I would appreciate Carl or someone else
>pointing out the obvious, but if not, I intend on writing a note on this.
>
>1 Pet. 2:5 has KAI\ AU0TOI\ W(S LI/QOI ZW=NTES OI0KODOMEI=SQE OI)=KOS
>PNEUMATIKO\S This is translated in the NIV as "you also, like living
>stones, are being built into a spiritual house", NRSV has "like living
>stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house". Similar
>translations are found in the RSV, KJV, and JB. Any discussion of this
>construction in several commentaries centers on the verb, passive vs.
>imperative sense.
>
>My problem, however, is "spiritual house" is in the NOMINATIVE! Each of the
>versions translates as though it were an accusative. So far, in an initial
>search of five commentaries and several grammars there has been NO
>discussion or explanation of the grammar. LSJ does not record any instances
>of OI0KODOMEI=SQE being used like a copulative.
>
>Would the grammar not result in a translation like, "you yourselves like
>living stones, a spiritual house, are being built into a holy priesthood" ???
>Am I blinded to something? Comments appreciated.

Tim, I would tend to see this as you do in the last paragraph, except I
would see the verb as imperative. "You, as living stones, a spiritual
house be built up (which means "let God build you") into . . . Carl Conrad
wrote;
with a simple copulative verb like EINAI or GINESQAI, for it is a matter of
being constituted as consuls or commanders that is indicated by the verbs
in the above sentences. And yet it seems to me there's a rather thin line
between the copulative and the predicative constructions.<<<<
Because I agree that this is not quite the same as a predicate nominative
unless you understand a verb to be somewhere there I would go with
apposition.

Carlton Winbery
Chair Religion/Philosophy
LA College,