Re: 1 John 5:7 In or out????

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Feb 05 1996 - 10:48:19 EST

rachel@hntp2.hinet.net wrote;

>> Also related to the 1 John 5:7 issue is what do you guys fall on the
>> TR or Majority Text debate fall?
>>
>> Thanks for any response esp. from Conrad (hint hint ;)

Carl Conrad wrote;

>Welcome, Jim. We'll take your word about Western Evangelical.
>As for your question, I make no claims to expertise at textual criticism,
>but as to the question in your subject heading, I think the evidence is
>overwhelming that the TR additions in 1 John 5:7-8 are spurious, unattested
>in any MS earlier than the 4th century. Metzger has a long note in his
>_Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament_ and the commentaries deal
>thoroughly with it. As for the second question, I don't think it's quite an
>either/or matter. but I'm sure the adepts will speak up and I suspect
>you'll find few defenders of the TR amongst us.

That's certainly true. I would add to your statement about the Comma
Johanneum that it is not found in any Greek ms before the tenth century
(221 and then listed as a variant reading). The next earliest Greek ms is
88, twelth cent. (also listed as a variant reading). the first ms to
include in the text itself and not as a marginal reading is forteenth cent.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net