Re: Wis of Solomon 7

From: Jim Beale (jbeale@gdeb.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 1996 - 11:27:00 EST

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 Edgar M. Krentz wrote:

> I am responding in this fashion because I really want you to love this
> deuterocanonical book. Its first section (1:1-6:11) is one of the great
> passages on the suffering righteous one in Israel, the one who looks to God
> for vindication. And it has much to teach careful readers of the NT Cf. 1
> Cor 8:6 on creation and the references to Sapientia in the margins
> alongside Rom 1:18-32.
>
> What a wonderful blessing to have such a book at hand to illuminate Jesus
> of Nazareth as God's wisdom for us.

I'm curious about the why the Wisdom of Solomon is not in the
canon. Augustin considered that the book should be canonical,

   And since these things are so, the judgment of the book of
   Wisdom ought not to be repudiated, since for so long a course
   of years that book has deserved to be read in the Church of
   Christ from the station of the readers of the Church of Christ,
   and to be heard by all Christians, from bishops downwards,
   even to the lowest lay believers, penitents, and catechumens,
   with the veneration paid to divine authority.
   (A Treatise on the Predestination of the Saints, Chap. 27)

As I have great respect for the opition of Augustin, and do not
have any information available on the subject I wonder if someone
might give the reason why the Wisdom of Solomon is not in the
canon?

--
In Christ,
Jim Beale

God does not give heed to the ambitiousness of our prayers, because he is always ready to give to us his light, not a visible light but an intellectual and spiritual one: but we are not always ready to receive it when we turn aside and down to other things out of a desire for temporal things. (Augustine, On the Lord's Sermon on the Mount, 2.3.14) ___________________________________________________________________