Re: Something from Nothing

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Sun Feb 11 1996 - 22:34:17 EST

Subject: Re: Something from Nothing
Cc: b-greek@virginia.edu

"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> quoted and wrote:

>On 2/10/96, Will Wagers wrote:

>> David M. Schaps wrote about Gn 1 in "Re: Accuracy in Translation":
>>
>> "It misses the fact that the three first letters of the first word are
>> themselves the second word. It misses the distinction between the
>> verb actually used, "bara" ("created") and the more common verb
>> "asa" ("made") -- the difference usually being explained as being
>> one between making something out of nothing (bara) and something
>> out of something else (asa)."
>>
>> It is my impression that the ancients, and particularly the Greeks,
>> didn't think anything came from nothing, i.e. no creation ex nihilo.
>> In Genesis for example, the wind and the waters, at least, seem to
>> pre-exist the creation. Many ancient creation myths seem to create
>> the cosmos from the body of a god, as Marduk from Tiamat.
>>
>> Is this supposed use of bara to mean creation from nothing limited
>> to divine contexts ?
>>
>> Does anyone have textual references supporting or contradicting the
>> notion of creation from nothing in ancient Hebrew (or other Middle
>> Eastern) sources ?
>>
>> Is it Christian thought that Jesus created the world from nothing ?
>> (Jn 1:1) If so, what would be the textual evidence for this position?
>
>With regard to Genesis 1, an alternative understanding I've seen in at
>least one serious discussion (E.A. Speiser's Anchor Bible Commentary on
>Genesis) takes the initial B'RESHITH BARA ... verse to mean something like,
>"At the beginning of God's creating the heaven and the earth, ..." and then
>understanding TOHU W/BOHU as a primeval chaos that is the raw material
>transformed by the creative action into a cosmos. Of course, the second
>creation narrative beginning at Genesis 2:4b makes no assumption whatsoever
>of a creatio ex nihilo; it is a nomadic herdsman's myth of the planting of
>an oasis in the desert, whereas the Genesis 1 myth is rather apparently an
>agricultural myth of the emergence of dry land from water.
>
>Of course, that has nothing to do with b-greek, but the second part of your
>question does. I would think that the clearest suggestion of a creatio ex
>nihilo in the NT might be Romans 4:17: KATENANTI hOU QEOU EPISTEUSEN TOU
>ZWOPOIOUNTOS TOUS NEKROUS KAI KALOUNTOS TA MH ONTA hWS ONTA. I've always
>understood this to mean that Abraham put his trust in the God who is both
>redeemer and creator, who makes the dead alive and calls into being things
>that do not have being.

        Carl's comment on Gen. 1:1 brought to mind a conversation on
b-hebrew from December of 1994 and especially a post by Joe Abrahmson
which seems to effectively answer the objections to the translation "In
the beginning..." for Gen. 1:1.

        To justify this as a b-greek post, I'll also add that both the LXX
and John 1:1 - if the latter is an echo of Gen. 1:1 as most commentators
think - also support the translation "In the beginning..."

All the best,
David Moore

Quoted material follows:

Subj: Gn1:1