Re: Matthew 24:30

From: Alan Repurk (lars@repurk.mw.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 1996 - 19:24:15 EST

Jan S Haugland wrote:

> Carl Conrad said:
> >When the sign appears (beginning of vs. 30) ALL THE NATIONS ON EARTH
>
> Or, "All the tribes of the land"
>
> >will beat their breasts--and they will see the Son of Man coming on
> >the clouds of heaven WITH POWER AND MUCH GLORY. Then in vs. 31 there
> >is the gathering of the "elect" from all the earth.
>
> Earth in the meaning "known earth". The idea of a planet was not known
> among those who wrote the NT.
>
> I had decided not to post about this topic again here. I just blew my
> last new years resolution :-)
>
> Peace,
> - Jan

I was not able to find the previous discussion on this topic refered
to in this thread from last summer or spring, so I hope this is not
redundant. It appears to me that Mt 24:30 can be interpreted
with Mt 24:21 in mind. Does not kosmos refer to the entire universe,
and sometimes the circle of the earth ? Those readers would have been
familiar with the following:

Isa 40:22 [It is] he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and
the inhabitants thereof [are] as grasshoppers; that stretcheth
out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent
to dwell in: (AV)

 Certainly the tribulation that occured in 70 CE would not have fit
fit the description in Mt 24:21. Therefore it would seem that even if
those readers did not understand the full significance of what they
were hearing, this prophecy would be understood by those for whom it
was written in due time.

Mt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since
the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. (AV)

Mt 24:21 estai gar tote yliqiv megalh oia ou gegonen ap
archv kosmou ewv tou nun oud ou mh genhtai

Mt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in
heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and
they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven
with power and great glory. (AV)

Mt 24:30 kai tote fanhsetai to shmeion tou uiou tou
anyrwpou en tw ouranw kai tote koqontai pasai ai fulai thv
ghv kai oqontai ton uion tou anyrwpou ercomenon epi twn
nefelwn tou ouranou meta dunamewv kai doxhv pollhv

lars