hOMOIWSW

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 1996 - 13:51:14 EST

Here's a little problem I ran into as I was updating the GRAMCORD database;
I'd like to see what you "morpheme-ologists" think about this one.

The form hOMOIWSW occurs 4x in the NT (Matt 11:16; Luke 7:31; 13:18, 20) in
roughly similar phrases about drawing a comparison to/about the Kingdom.
There is a disagreement between the tools as to whether this should be
parsed as a 1st Sing FUTURE INDICATIVE or as an AORIST SUBJUNCTIVE (in
either case a "deliberative" use, I take it). I was inclined to read it as
a Future Indicative, but then I noticed the similar passage in Mark 4:30,
which uses the 1st Plural in a similar statement...and unless I'm missing
something here (to close to the problem and can't see the forest for the
trees...you know the feeling...), Mark 4:30 is clearly Aorist Subjunctive.
Sooooooooooooooooo....I'm now wondering if the 1st singulars ought to be
parsed as Aorist Subjunctive as well??

What do you'all think....

Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com