Re: Research Methods in the Fathers

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Fri Feb 23 1996 - 23:15:08 EST

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Gary S. Shogren wrote:

> I'm thinking through a research paper, and could use some expertise. This
> is close enough to a Greek question, I hope.
>
> I want to research the ways in which 1 Cor. 13:8-10 was interpreted in the
> first five centuries of the church. I've found a couple of places where
> expositions of that passage took place w/o a direct quotation, but only an
> allusion - turning an easy search into a tricky one. Beyond checking the
> secondary lit, I thought of a dual approach:
>
> 1. TLG searches, using 3-4 constellations of key words
> 2. E-texts of the Early Christian Fathers on the 'net, same procedure, to
> catch the Latin fathers; then go back to original language texts
>
> Am I missing some obvious search method? Any thoughts on what is relevant
> secondary lit? You can email me personally.
>
> Gary Shogren

        Many of the sets on the Fathers have Scripture indexes. You may
have checked these already, although you don't specifically mention it.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore