hIMATIZW

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 1996 - 19:29:45 EST

Fellow Parse-ologist...How would you parse the Perf Ptcs of hIMATIZW in Mark
5:15; Luke 8:35 (only 2x in NT); Passive (=BAGD) or Middle ?? Cf., ENDUW,
whenever it refers to one putting on one's clothes is parsed as middle
(quite correctly and understandably). I seriously doubt that the demoniac's
mom showed up to clothe him, or that the demons came back and did him a
final favor for his longstanding hospitality, or that the prim and proper
townsfolk came out to make sure he was clothed. Are we assuming that Jesus
clothed him (ala Adam and Eve ??)? Or is this the DIVINE PASSIVE ?? I
unfortunately don't have M&M at home to check the Koine uses to see if there
are clear passives used in this sense. So what is the verdict ??

Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com