Re: translation

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 22:58:44 EST

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, brent justin anduaga-arias wrote:

> The RSV in 1st John 5:13 states "I write THIS to you..." All of my
> other English translations have "I write THESE THINGS to you..." Is
> there a grammatical reason for the RSV's departure or is it just
> "translator's liberty?"

        The RSV has taken a liberty with the text at this point. TAUTA
is definitely plural.

> Also, in Hebrews 10:12 some of my English translations say "...offered
> FOR ALL TIME..." while others say "...sat down FOREVER..." The Greek word
> (which is being translated variously as indicated) seems to have
> ambiguity as to what its object is. Does the confusion arise purely from
> ambiguity of grammar or is context contributing to the translator's
> differences?

        It seems to depend on how the translator has read the words EIS TO
DIHNEKES in relation to the context. This phrase should be understood to
modify the one sacrifice for sin. For one thing, because the theme of
this whole section of Hebrews is that Christ's one sacrifice for sin is
once and for all, but also because the duration of His enthronement "on
the right hand of God" is qualified by what is said in v. 13, so, to also
have EIS TO DIHNEKES refer to the enthronement would be somewhat
redundant. In v. 14 we again find EIS TO DIHNEKES used in reference to
Christ's one sacrifice as to its eternal efficacy for all those who are to
be sanctified by it.

> Again, in Romans 3:25 the RSV says "... to be received BY faith." The
> Greek word here is DIA, which I have always presumed means "through" - by
> which other translations indeed render this word. Can someone tell me if
> there is a grammatic reason for "by" or is it again just "translator's
> liberty?"

        The use of "by" appears to be a legitimate translation of DIA
here. Of course it is a translator's call on this, and I would think
that the RSV translators rendered "by faith" rather than "through faith"
because it seems more natural English and really does not harm the
meaning of the Greek.

Regards,

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore