Help on graphe artios

From: mark.arvid.johnson@chrysalis.org
Date: Sat Mar 02 1996 - 11:45:01 EST

Ed Krentz dixit:

>I one holds to the Pauline authorship of the pastoral epistles, one can
>still appropriate my suggestion (I forget where I first read of the
>possibility!), since the third part of the canon was equally fluid in
>Paul's lifetime, as Luke 24:44 (law, prophets, Psalms) suggests.
>Josephus is the first to list the 24 (= 39) book canon in his treatise
>_In Apionem_; but he cannot be pressed to argue that his view in the
>first decade of the second century was universally held by Jews.

I question the idea that there was substantial uncertainty in early
first century Judaism concerning the Hebrew scriptures. I recommend the
following works for further reference:

        -The Old Testament Canon of the New Testament Church-
        Roger Beckwith

        -Reclaiming the Dead Sea Scrolls-
        Lawrence H. Schiffman

I do not understand why Josephus cannot be taken to argue that his view
in the first decade of the second century was universally held by Jews.

        We have given practical proof for our reverence for our own
        Scriptures. For, although such long ages have now passed, no one
        has ventured to add, or to remove, or to alter anything, and it
        is an instinct with every Jew, from the day of his birth, to
        regard them as the decrees of God, to abide by them, and (if
        need be) cheerfully to die for them. Time and again ere now the
        sight has been witnessed of prisoners enduring tortures and
        death in every form in the theatres rather than utter a single
        word against the laws and the accompanying records.

        Against Apion, 1.7f., or 1.37-47: quoted in Beckwith, p. 119.

Also, I do not see how Luke 24:44 (Law, Prophets, Psalms) suggests the
third part of the canon was fluid in Paul's lifetime.

Deus est satis.

---
* CMPQwk 1.42 9931 *