Re: dynamic words

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 1996 - 08:21:35 EST

> I was wondering if I could solicit submittals of everyone's favorite
>Greek words which meet the criteria of having a notoriously context
>sensitive definition. As an example I will present my own weak example.
> The RSV translates the Greek word HNTHY(KS)HIS (I used 'KS' in place of
>xsi, not knowing which latin to use...) in 1st Timothy 2:1 as
>"intercessions" but it translates the same word in 1st Timothy 4:4 as
>"thanksgiving." Clearly "intercessions" is not equal to "thanksgiving."

You could hardly overlook the word KOSMOS. Order, the ordered universe,
adornment/decoration, the earth, the people in the world, the ungodly, the
seductive world/enticement to evil, the sum total of any thing eg. James
3:6, "the world of sin."

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La