Re: dynamic words

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 1996 - 03:03:57 EST

Brent Arias wrote:

>I was wondering if I could solicit submittals of everyone's favorite
>Greek words which meet the criteria of having a notoriously context
>sensitive definition.

How about the ever illusive DOXA in Eph 3:13, is it LXX "glory," or
Classical "opinion"??

Here's a fun one that should cause the theological fur to fly: Should
PARAPIPTW in Heb 6:6 be understood through the theological grid of "losing
one's salvation" by falling away or as BAGD puts it "commiting apostasy" or
should it be interpreted in light of the previous uses of PIPTW (3:17;
4:11); by the way it looks like Moses "fell" as well (he died in the
wilderness and didn't enter the rest).

One of the problems of teaching students exegesis is to try to get them to
look at NT words through a Koine/NT grid, rather than their 20th century
theological grid; a classic example is the verb SWZW and the noun SWTHRIA,
which as we all know always means "regeneration (born
again)"/"justification" (sins forgiven and on your way to heaven). Except
for the fact that it frequently means "to be healed" in the gospels (Mark
5:23, 28), and when combined with PSUCHE it means to preserve or rescue
someone from physical death (Mark 3:4; cf., James 1:21; 1Pet 1:9) not "Jesus
saved my soul."

Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com