Acts 19:2

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 1996 - 08:46:33 EST

>I promised my beginning Greek students that I'd ask you b-greekers for your
>input on the usage of PISTEUSANTES in Acts 19:2. The verse asks: EI PNEUMA
>hAGION ELABETE PISTEUSANTES? Our textbook suggested that it could
>legitimately mean action prior to the action of the main verb or attendant
>circumstance, with neither grammar nor immediate context strongly pointing
>one way or the other. What do you think? With the diversity of theological
>positions represented by b-greek, I can't wait for your responses!
>
>Sherry Kull
>Adjunct Faculty
>Biblical Theological Seminary

Good question. The terms occur in an indirect question in which the
adverbial participle relates to the main verb, but in a manner which leaves
it to the reader/hearer to infer. I understand it as follows:

1. It is probably to be understood in the first place as inceptive, i.e.
"dome to believe."

2. The participle might be temporal: "when you came to believe" or "after
you came to believe" or "as you came to believe." There may be a reference
to baptism implicit in the phrase.

3. I would not think that attendant circumstance is a correct analysis. It
is an outside possibility to take the participle as instrumental ("by
coming to faith") or causal ("because you came to faith")--though the
temporal makes more sense in the context of Acts.

I too will be interested in other reactions to your question.

Edgar M. Krentz Tel: 312-256-0752
Professor of New Testament FAX: 312-256-0782
1100 East 55th Street Home:312-947-8105
Chicago, IL 60615 emkrentz@mcs.com