Re: Ephesians 4:29

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 18 1996 - 11:28:08 EST

Stephen Clock wrote;
>In Ephesians 4:29, the second major clause begins with ALLA EI TIS AGAThOS etc.
>
>a) EI here, introduces a third class conditional clause, does it not?

No, a third class condition is usually introduced by some form of AN such
as EAN.

I would say that ALLA EI TIS AGAQOS PROS OIKODOMHN THS CREIAS is an
adversative clause indicating the converse of the SAPROS LOGOS. I would
translate it "but if any (word) (is) good for meeting the need."

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net