Re: Subst Adj as Adv

From: Bruce Terry (terry@bible.acu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 19 1996 - 19:17:01 EST

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:
>We are all used to the neut sing of an adj being used as an adverb, indeed
>some of them have become so frozen and fixed in usage that it seems clear
>that Koine speakers thought of them as separate adverbial lemmas/words. The
>disagreement in the tools has to do with such adjectives turned adverb, when
>the are articular. Some tools (eg., BAGD) have no problem designating as
>adverbs certain occurrences of articular neut sing forms of adjectives (eg.,
>TO DEUTERON in 2Cor 13:2; TO LOIPON in Phil 3:1 cmp., 2Cor 13:11; TO PRWTON
>John 10:40; 19:39; etc., etc.). Other tools studiously avoid designating as
>adverbial even the most obvious examples, simply because they are articular;
>they refer to them simply as adjectives.

Dale, I am inclined to think that it is the neuter NP (consisting of Det+Adj)
which should be labeled as adverbial. One of the shortcomings of the current
tools, both computer and print, is that the analysis is most often limited to
the word level, while phrase, clause, colon (sentence?), and paragraph levels
are ignored.

Bruce Terry E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769